Next to "which schools should we apply to?" financial aid elicits the most questions in the admission process. The fog surrounding the financial aid process is compounded by the facts that:
- Many families are new to the process.
- Families may never have been asked to disclose so much about their finances.
- Filing for financial aid is complicated; takes planning and requires some wherewithal.
- The financial aid process doesn't necessarily lead to perfect solution.
With these issues in mind, we asked six private school admission & financial aid directors:
"What should our families keep in mind as they file for financial aid?"
While each panel member provides a slightly different take on filing for financial aid consistent themes emerge:
- Know the people and the process at each school.
- Be honest and fully transparent
- Apply Early
- Meet all deadlines
- Know exactly what each school requires. Requirement differ slightly from school to school.
- Describe and document your situation thoroughly, but concisely when asked, or provided the opportunity, to present an explanation.
Did you know that you can view this video on private school financial aid on Youtube along with hundreds of prep school tours & how to admission videos?
Check out our boarding school video channel to view our complete collection.