Holidays Are A Good Time to Work On Private School Applications
With the break from school and the slower routine, the end of year holidays provide a great time to make sure your ducks are in a row with respect to the private school application process. This is an overview of where you might expect to be if you’re on an ideal application calendar. If you’re in a different spot in the process- don’t worry. It’s a process; all the pieces can be compressed and sped-up if you need to.
By the end of the year, you should have worked through the following steps for Fall 2009 school admission:
- Committed to exploring a school change.
- Developed an understanding of your child as a student. How does he/she learn best? In what type of environment does he/she thrive? Does he/she structure/support? Does your student have a strong talent or ability that needs an especially strong program- art, music, athletics?
- Researched and explored schools- understanding the difference between different schools.
- Settled on a list of schools with environments and programs that will best nurture your student.
- Ordered application packages and started the application process at these schools. This includes completing the applications and working with your current teachers and school to have recommendations and assessments written.
- Scheduled interviews at these schools.
- Financial Aid. You should be gathering financial data and be completing the SSS financial disclosure from.
The process requires a good deal of gathering & information management; planning and is paramount. As I mentioned earlier, all of the parts can be compressed if you arrived late.
If you plan on applying for financial aid, start early. The financial aid process requires lots of disclosure and it can take some time to gather the information.
Also, schools may accept admission applications on a rolling admission basis. Be aware, however, that financial aid is not awarded nor is it usually available on a rolling basis. Financial aid applications have a fixed, early application date and you must submit your applications on time.