Hawaii Preparatory Academy
At a glance
|Location Kamuela, HI||Tuition $38,300|
|Grades K-PG||Students Receiving Aid 40%|
|Student Body Coed||Total Aid Awarded $1,600,000|
|Student/Faculty Ratio 10:1||Endowment $21,130,000|
Average Class Size13
Sports & Extracurriculars54*
|Average SAT Score (Math)||572|
|Average SAT Score (Verbal)||532|
|Learning Support Program?|
|Number of AP Programs||18|
|IB Program Offered?|
|Region|| Honolulu HI Area
|Program Emphasis|| 5-Day Boarding School
Junior Boarding School
Small Boarding School
|Grade Divisions|| Kindergarten
|School Setting||Small Town|
|Campus Size (Acres)||220|
|Head of School||Lindsay R. Barnes, Jr.|
Founded in 1949, Hawai‘i Preparatory Academy is in the small town of Waimea (population 7,028), on the northern side of the island of Hawai‘i, in a beautiful, rural setting that National Geographic named one of the best places in the world to live and play. If you could choose any place in the world for a school, it would be difficult to find one that offers more opportunities than this one.
• HPA is composed of two campuses—the Village Campus, home of our Lower and Middle Schools (grades K-8), and the Upper Campus (grades 9-12 and postgraduates). Total day and boarding student population is 600.
• Boarding is available for grades 9-12 and postgraduates, and home stay is available for students in grades 6-8. Our students come from other Hawaiian islands, many states in the continental U.S., and more than 20 nations in North and South America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia, and the Pacific Islands.
• HPA’s Upper Campus is located on 220 acres at the base of the Kohala Mountains with an expansive view of the reknowned mountains Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa, and Hualalai.
• The campus is a 45-minute drive from the Kona International Airport (KOA) on the island of Hawai‘i. Direct flights to Kona are available from Japan and the U.S. mainland. Families flying through the Honolulu International Airport (HNL) on the island of O‘ahu MUST take a short 40-minute interisland flight to Kona.
• Much of life at HPA is spent outdoors and our students take year-round advantage of our temperate climate. Average high temperatures range annually from 76-82º F (24-28º C) and lows range annually from 63-69º F (17-21º C) with a 2º F change in ocean water temperature year-round.
• World famous beaches along the Kona-Kohala coast are minutes away. Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park—a scenic 2.5-hour drive away—allows a glimpse of nature’s awesome creative power.
• Eighty percent of the world’s ecosystems can be found on the island, providing amazing opportunities for students to study the Earth’s diversity in one location.
• Our cutting-edge neighbors, W.M. Keck Observatory, Canada-France-Hawai‘i, and Mauna Loa Observatory are at the forefront of scientific research and provide opportunities to experience and learn about our world and universe.
|Full Time Faculty||52|
|Part Time Faculty||17|
|Faculty with doctorate||4|
|Faculty with masters||37|
|Average Class Size||13|
|Special Academic Support Programs|
|A Sampling of Courses Offered|
|A.P. Courses Offered|
|Majority of students come from||Other(Pacific Basin and West Coast)|
|% of Students of Color||53%|
|% of International Students||16%|
|Director of Admission||Joshua D. Clark|
|Admission Application||Apply to Hawaii Preparatory Academy|
|Application Fee Amount||50|
|Application Deadline(s)||Feb 2|
|Financial Aid Deadline(s)||February 2|
|Financial Aid Awarded||$1,600,000|
|% of Students Receiving Financial Aid||40%|
|Admission Tests Accepted|
|Day Student Tuition||$17,300|
|Boarding Student Tuition||$38,300|
|International Student Tuition||$52,000|
College Placement Office
|Average SAT I Scores (Math)||572|
|Average SAT I Scores (Verbal)||532|
|Average SAT I Scores (Writing)||525|
|Dedicated College Placement Office||Yes|
|Recent College Matriculations||Boston University, Brown University, University of California: Berkeley/Davis/San Diego/Santa Barbara, California Polytechnic State University, Carnegie Mellon University, University of Chicago, Colgate University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Emory University, Harvard University, University of Hawai‘i, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of Michigan, Middlebury College, New York University, Parson’s School of Design, Rhode Island School of Design, Rose Hulman Institute of Technology, University of Southern California, Stanford University, University of Virginia, Yale University|
|% of Graduates Who Attend College||95-100|
Athletics & Extra-Curricular Activities